Top Fitness Trends to Expect in 2024
Fitness trends are constantly evolving, and new trends are emerging all of the time.
Throughout our 30+ years of leading fitness in the Philadelphia area, we’ve learned a few things about which trends will last and which ones fade. One thing is for sure – the trends that last are proven to help people get stronger, leaner, and healthier. We put this list together of some of the top fitness trends to expect in 2024 based on their growth in 2023.
1. More Personalized Fitness Experiences: Why is this the #1 trend on our list? Because personal attention gets results – as in, busy adults getting in the best shape of their lives kind of results. Personalized experiences include workouts plans managed by a personal trainer, nutritional coaching, and data-driven insights to track progress. Personal training was one of the fastest growing trends in 2023 and is expected to continue growing in 2024 because people get better results with coaching.
At AFC Fitness, we know there is no one size fits all approach to fitness. We continue to invest in technology and expertise to provide personalized experiences to our members. Each member in our personal training program has their workouts 100% personalized to their ability level and needs. Using science-based methods, combined with the latest cutting-edge techniques, AFC certified personal trainers help our members get the best results of their lives.
2. Strength training: Strength training is one of the most popular and effective ways to improve overall fitness. It can help build muscle, burn fat, and improve bone density. IHRSA (International Health Racquet and Sportsclub Association) found that strength training was the top trend to watch in 2023 and we see it continuing in 2024! Whether working out on your own or with the guidance of a personal trainer, everything you need for the most complete strength training workouts are available to you at each AFC Fitness location.
3. Holistic Wellness Approaches: People are recognizing the importance of holistic wellness, which encompasses physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Holistic wellness approaches can help people achieve their fitness goals by addressing the underlying causes of their health problems. For example, stress can lead to weight gain and other health problems.
AFC Fitness has expanded our programming beyond traditional gym memberships to include meditation and mindfulness sessions in many of our yoga classes. By offering meditation and mindfulness sessions, AFC can help people reduce stress and improve their overall health.
4. Micro, Short, Effective Workouts: Everyone is busy and time-constrained these days, so there is a growing demand for micro workouts which are shorter, more efficient sessions. HIIT workouts (High Intensity Interval Training) involve alternating between short bursts of intense exercise and periods of rest. They are a great way to burn calories and improve cardiovascular fitness in a short amount of time. AFC Fitness integrates HIIT fundamentals into many group fitness classes and Small Group Training sessions.
Circuit training is another type of exercise that involves moving from one exercise to another without rest. Each AFC Fitness location is ideal for circuit training workouts by oneself or with guidance of an AFC expert trainer.
Express workouts are designed to be quick and convenient, and they typically include a variety of exercises that target different muscle groups. Express workouts at AFC can be completed in 45 minutes or less.
5. Fitness programs for older adults: The number of older adults is growing, people are living longer and fitness is top on their list of priorities. So is the demand for fitness programs that are designed specifically for their needs and ability levels. We found that fitness programs for older adults was a popular fitness trend in 2023 and we see that trend ongoing in 2024. We continue to invest in and offer the widest range of programming designed for our 65+ members including group fitness classes, small group training, and after-workout socials and get togethers.
##If you are 65+ you may be eligible for a no cost membership at AFC Fitness! Health insurance providers, like United Healthcare, Highmark, Aetna, and more, partner with wellness programs to provide no cost memberships to AFC Fitness.
If you’re 65+ and are a member of any major health insurance provider, there is a good chance they partner with a wellness program. Not sure whether you are eligible? Call the customer service number on your health insurance member ID card and ask if your plan is part of any of these wellness programs: Renew Active, Silver Sneakers, One Pass, Aaptiv, Silver & Fit, Active & Fit.
6. Community and Social Engagement:
Even long before the pandemic we noticed people were seeking social connections and a sense of community in their fitness journeys. So, we began fostering a powerful and positive sense of belonging by organizing more group fitness classes, social events, and challenges. Group fitness classes help members stay motivated and accountable as you exercise with others. AFC social events help members connect with other people beyond the workout with others who share their interests. And challenges are fun ways to help members track their progress and achieve their fitness goals while having some friendly competition.
Conclusion: Fitness trends are constantly evolving, and these trends are just a few of the many that we can expect to see in 2024. We invite you to start a free 30 day trial to experience the activities listed above. Visit any AFC location – Bala Cynwyd, Feasterville, and Radnor.